We’re on the countdown to Lyme Disease Awareness Month this May! Every year, we run a national Wake Up To Lyme campaign, which aims to raise awareness of how to prevent tick bites and what you should do if you’re bitten.
A key date in the diary is Wear Lime For Lyme Day on Friday 3rd May! We would be delighted if you and your pets would take part by donning some lime green attire! Why not get your office or hobby group involved too?
We’re holding a pet photography competition on Friday May 3rd to mark the occasion. Please join us by taking a photo of your best fur-end in their lime green attire, and emailing it to firstname.lastname@example.org
All photos will be shared on our social media channels and website! There will also be a prize for the top photographer.
You can also help to raise awareness by sharing the photos on your own social media accounts. Please use the hashtags: #WearLimeForLyme #WakeUpToLyme #LymeDiseaseAwarenessMonth
There’s a range of lime green clothing options available to purchase online for Wear Lime For Lyme Day. We’ve listed some ideas below for dogs, humans, and other pets!
We know that many of you are dog lovers, so we thought what better way to raise awareness than with the help of our beloved canine friends. We’re selling these Wake Up To Lyme bandanas for dogs!
It’s a fact that dogs can easily pick up ticks, and this places dog owners at greater risk of tick exposure. In a study conducted by the University of Bristol in 2015, the Big Tick Project found that a third of dogs checked at random during a visit to a vet were found to be carrying a tick. Our doggy bandanas are the perfect way to raise awareness amongst fellow dog owners!
Spot the bargain; our bandanas are only £6.75 each (plus £1.50 post for up to 3 bandanas) and can be purchased here.
Due to limited stock, we currently one have the Regular size available. It fits most dogs, as you simply fold over for the best fit and then tie around the dog’s neck.
The fabric is a very lightweight cotton/polyester mix, which drapes nicely around the dog’s neck. It is fully machine washable, fully hemmed and comes packed in a cellophane wrapper.
If you would like your bandana to arrive in time for Friday 3rd May, please order by Friday 19th April.
Our bandanas are a great way of starting conversations with fellow dog owners. If you’re out and about and you’re asked what they’re in aid of, it would be wonderful if you could share some key facts to promote awareness:
- Lyme disease is spread to humans and animals by the bite of an infected tick. The best way to protect your pets is by avoiding tick bites.
- Tick bites on pets can be prevented by using tick prevention products. Please consult with your vet for more information.
- Check your pets for ticks every day and after being outdoors. Daily tick checks are important on pets because they are unlikely to notice an attached tick or bite.
- Tick bites are not itchy and tend to be hidden by fur, or inside the ears, or mouth. Ticks often attach to the head, neck, ears, bellies, and paws of dogs.
- If you find a tick on your dog, carefully remove it straight away with a tick remover tool. The longer a tick is attached to your pet, the more likely it is to transmit the bacteria that can cause Lyme disease.
- If you are finding ticks on your pets, you’re also at risk of tick bites. Wear insect repellent during outdoor activities. Avoid walking through long grass and stick to pathways. If you have to walk in long grass, tuck trousers into socks. Shower and check for ticks when you get home.
Dogs aren’t every man’s best friend, so if you’re the owner of a cat, horse, or even a tortoise, there are still many ways they can take part in Wear Lime For Lyme Day on Friday 3rd May! There’s a range of lime green items available for purchase online, including collars, bow ties, and jumpers.
Last year, patient Hannah Green and her horse Tyler, sported matching lime green clothing, and this year Tyler will be opting for these tailor-made lime green boots! Ten out of ten for effort, Hannah!
Last but not least, us humans can also take part in Wear Lime For Lyme Day and we’re selling T-shirts especially for the occasion. Can we tempt you?
Sporting one of our stylish tees is an easy way to raise awareness and an excellent conversation-starter! There are two T-shirt options for you to choose from this year!
Our tees come in a range of different sizes. Take part in Wear Lime For Lyme Day on 3rd May by sending us a photo of yourself in your tee. We’ll be sharing all photos on our website and social media!
We would also be grateful if you can help to spread awareness by sharing photos on your own social media accounts. Please use the hashtags: #WearLimeForLyme #WakeUpToLyme #LymeDiseaseAwarenessMonth
Ready to order your T-shirt?
Before you place your order here.
Show your support for Lyme Disease Awareness Month by purchasing one of our beautiful heart-shaped lapel pins! At only £4 each including post, they make the perfect awareness accessory.
Orders can be placed here.
Thank you so much for taking part in Wear Lime For Lyme 2024. Your support means the world to us!
Together, let’s spread awareness of Lyme disease. Together, let’s encourage others to wake up to Lyme!