LDUK was delighted to host a Morning with Dr Joseph Jemsek, MD on Saturday 29th June 2019 at the Holiday Inn Kensington High Street in London. On one of the warmest days of the year, it was wonderful to have the opportunity to bring together so many members of the Lyme community in order to hear from Dr Jemsek and to share their experiences of living with Lyme disease.
Over 140 patients and carers from around the UK attended to hear Dr Jemsek’s latest insights into diagnosis, treatment and recovery from Lyme disease and co-infections. Dr Jemsek kindly donated his time free of charge.
The event was facilitated by Natasha Metcalf, Co-Founder, LDUK. During the morning, patients observed Dr Jemsek examining a patient live on-stage and learned self-help tips on how to manage Lyme disease in the absence of adequate medical care.
- Brief history of the illness and the politics surrounding it
- Symptom constellation and importance of clinical diagnosis
- How Lyme affects all systems of the body
- Investigations by specialism – what to discuss with your rheumatologist, cardiologist, neurologist and endocrinologist if you are a Lyme patient
- JSC treatment approach – combined antibiotic protocols, herbal treatment, supplements and lifestyle advice
- Self help tips for before, during and following Lyme disease treatment
- Roadblocks to treatment success
- Cure or remission? How can late stage Lyme patients get the best results from treatment and prevent relapse
- Current trends, research and innovations in the field of Lyme disease and co-infections: What does the future hold?
JOSEPH G. JEMSEK, MD, FACP, AAHIVSBoard Certified Internal Medicine and Infectious Disease
Dr Jemsek has treated thousands of patients from all over the world at his clinic, the Jemsek Specialty Clinic, in Washington D.C. He is a renowned Infectious Disease doctor and was a pioneer in the field of HIV/AIDS in the 1980s, winning multiple awards for his outstanding contribution to this area of medicine.
Then his attention turned to Lyme disease which he feels is a twin epidemic. He is now an expert in understanding the intricacies and complexities of this disease. Over more than a decade, he has designed and developed innovative protocols to tackle the cocktail of infections that often accompanies Lyme disease. He is in the process of collaborating with researchers in the development of credentialed treatment protocols. He plans to open a sister clinic in Ireland within the next three years. Listen to our interview with Dr Jemsek here.