Skip to content
Emma Dolan, 41
- Bitten in the USA in 2005. Health declined but still managed to still function at around 60%.
- Self employed because not able to hold down a job and was refused Employment Support Allowance – deemed fit for full time work.
- October 2014, health deteriorated following a bad virus.
- Now bed bound around 23 hours per day and uses social service care.
- Cognitive problems, muscle spasms, fatigue, widespread pain.
- NHS Lyme disease test negative. Private test positive.
- GP thought Lyme disease was likely and 3 weeks of doxycycline prescribed in 2015.
- Improvements detected during treatment but relapse occurred when treatment stopped.
- GP not able to prescribe any more antibiotics for Lyme disease
- M.E. diagnosis given.
- Referred to Infectious Diseases department – some blood tests were run.
- Letter received letter to say that immune system was suppressed which corresponded with private tests done in Germany.
- Referred to an Immunologist – referral refused on the grounds that there was “nothing he could do” and he agreed with the Infectious Diseases consultant who suggested “unexplained symptoms.”
- Only help offered was a care package to at home and for pain management.
- Now fundraising to get treatment in the USA.